AAS Mission and Vision Statement
The mission of the American Astronomical Society is to enhance and share humanity’s scientific understanding of the universe as a diverse and inclusive astronomical community.
The Vision of the AAS
To create a world where all people value and benefit from a scientific understanding of our universe.
- Curiosity: We conduct research driven by our curiosity about the universe.
- Integrity: We act with integrity, ethical behavior, and transparency as we perform our investigations and share our results.
- Inclusivity: We use fair and accessible practices to create a diverse and welcoming scientific community.
- Empowerment: We mentor and support our early career members, using our resources to create a positive environment for them and for our astronomical community.
- Sustainability: We accomplish our work using environmentally sensitive actions rooted in scientific understanding.
Adopted 16 July 2021
"The Society has a century-long record of supporting our discipline through research, through education, and through public policy/advocacy, and it is crucial that all practicing astronomers be members of the organization."
— David Helfand, AAS Past President (2012-2014)